Be Wise, Sanitise!
With all that’s going on with the Corona Virus right now, people have gone made buying hand sanitisers! In fact, you will be lucky to find one in the shops right now!
So, why does everyone want one?
Well, hand sanitisers were developed for use after washing hands or for those times when soap and water are not available. They are gels that contain alcohol in order to kill the germs present on the skin. The alcohol works immediately and effectively in order to kill bacteria and most viruses.
- Hand sanitisers are convenient, portable, easy to use and not time consuming.
- Several studies have concluded that the risk of spreading gastrointestinal (stomach) and respiratory infection is decreased among families who use hand sanitisers.
- Commercially prepared hand sanitizers contain ingredients that help prevent skin dryness. Using these products can result in less skin dryness and irritation than hand-washing.
- Studies show that adding hand sanitizers to classrooms can reduce student absenteeism due to illness by 20 per cent. What’s more, many kids think instant hand sanitizers are fun to use.
- Not all hand sanitisers are created equally. Check the bottle for active ingredients. The alcohol content may be in the form of ethyl alcohol, ethanol or isopropanol. All of those are acceptable forms of alcohol. Be certain that no matter which type of alcohol is listed, its concentration is between 60 and 95 per cent. Alcohol content of less than 60 per cent isn’t enough to be effective.
- Alcohol does not cut through grime. All dirt, blood and soil must be wiped or washed away first if the alcohol in the sanitiser is to be effective. In such cases, hand-washing with soap and water is advised.
- Hand sanitisers are not cleaning agents and are not meant as a replacement for soap and water, but as a complementary habit. Sanitisers are most effective when used in conjunction with diligent hand-washing.
The use of hand sanitisers is a habit that can help keep us all exposed to fewer germs, and therefore may decrease our chance of illness. Whether you are on the playground, using someone else’s computer or visiting a friend in the hospital, take the time to rub some on your hands.